grub question on fedora core 6 and debian etch system

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Apr 1 20:26:47 EDT 2007

If I understand what you're writing, it doesn't work that way.

You have to boot Fedora to run yum. You don't use Debian and chroot into
your Fedora partition.

Can you boot Fedora? If need be you could ssh into your running session.

If I'm misunderstanding you and you're getting this dependency issue,
simply add the dependency to what you're upgrading, e.g.:

yum update yum yum-updatesd

If you simply run:

yum upgrade

you'll pick up all dependencies, but be careful not to lose your Speakup
Modified kernel rpm. The exclude is still agood idea for that reason,
though it forces you to grab kernels by hand. There is an argument you
can try in your /etc/yum.repos.d/speakupmodified.repo:

kernelpkgnames=kernel-*spk

but the yum docs list this as deprecated, so I don't know what the
future is on that.

Janina