getting speech during install from edgie

Ricky Enger renger at carolina.rr.com
Wed Sep 27 09:26:54 EDT 2006

Hi Sean,
The Edgy installer uses Orca, the Gnome screen reader, along with the
Festival synth to voice the install.  This feature is available on
the daily build of the live CD, which can be gotten from
cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Boot the CD and when you hear the Ubuntu startup sound, press alt-f2
to bring up the run dialog box in gnome.  Type orca and press
enter.  At this point, you'll get a message indicating that the
accessibility flag has been initialized and you need to log in again
for this change to take effect.  Press control-alt-backspace to kill
the X session and wait for the CD to log you in automatically
again.  Once you hear the startup sound, run orca again by pressing
alt-f2, typing orca, and pressing enter.

At this point, you should be able to launch the Ubiquity installer
from the desktop.

Please note that the above info may be slightly out of date since
things are changing frequently with the daily build.

Hth,
Ricky