General questions from someone who's never used Speakup...

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 18 12:19:59 EDT 2006

I think it all depends on what you want out of linux. Are you hoping to
become a linux system administrator? If so, you'll want to get to know
speakup -- it rocks. I use it every day. I even have speakup on my laptop as
opposed to Windows 98. (It's a very old laptop.)

But if you're just looking for a way to read email and browse the web, I
don't think you'll see a productivity increase by switching from a
windows/jaws system to linux/speakup.

I've been telling all my blind friends who make their living doing computer
support to get into linux. IMO, it's a great career move.  You're hardly
handicapped at all in linux system administration. Almost everything is text
based.

But if you're not a computer nerd, I wouldn't bother trying to learn
linux/speakup. WWhen the GUI screen readers are better, then it might be
worthwhile to switch.

I definately  think the way to get started is with an older machine. I have
a LAN in my home running, well, everything... web server, dhcp, caching dns,
samba. It even has 2 sound cards so I can record more than 1 radio program
at a time. And it's just a pentium 450 with 384 Mb of ram.

I don't know what the laws are like where you live but in Madison,
Wisconsin, you have to pay like $20 to dispose of a computer. So people are
more than willing to give you an old computer that linux and speakup will
run on just fine.  That's how I would start.