raids

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Sep 9 03:05:12 EDT 2006

You need to make the mount point be something other then / for 1 of the
drives, you can't put 2 partitions on the same mount point, like that
message box says.

Also, from the subject of your message, and based on what you told us
in your first post, you're setting up a raid. I don't know if it's
software or hardware, and I also haven't used software raid since the
2.4.x kernels. So, I stand to be corrected, but if you're setting up
software raid under gnu/linux, partitioning the drives individually,
with separate file systems,  is
not the way to do it, unless things have drastically change since I
did it, which I doubt is the case. You should be able to find the
software raid howto on tldp.org, and I suggest that you read that, if
you're in fact setting up software raid.

Greg

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:57:14PM -0700, Ned Granic wrote:
> Thanks folks for the help with hardware.
>
> Then, I came to a halt again!
> Manually partitioning the disks:
> After matching the partitions from hda (master) and hdb (slave), and
> clicking on "finish and write changes to disk", the following error pops up:
>
> <box>
> partition disks:
> identical mount points for two file systems.
> Two file systems are assigned the same mount point (/):
> ide1 master, partition #1 (hda1) and ide slave, partition #1 (hdb1).
> please correct this by changing mount points.
> <end box>
> So on both drives there is the root partition with the ext3 fs, they are
> both set to be formatted, the bootable flag is set on both, the mount points
> are / (root dir), and sizes are identical.
> Finally, they are matched.
>
> How to proceed?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
> Ned