New Speech??

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 10:45:23 EDT 2006

W. Nick Dotson <nickdotson at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > What's neo speech?
> VoiceWare's digitized human speech speech engine, Kate and Paul are
> the female and male voices respectively.

Does Neospeech run on Linux?  The demo piece sounds comparable with
"AT&T Natural Voices" and "ScanSoft RealSpeak", but perhaps those don't
do Linux (I have them running here on Windows).

I'm curious. Have you tried eSpeak ( http://espeak.sourceforge.net ) ?
I'd be interested to hear how it compares with a modern commercial
synth for someone with hearing difficulties, for the purpose of
intelligibility.  Its speech isn't as natural as the commercial synths
of course, but that's not necessarily the same as intelligibility.