Software speech (Was): Re: Fedora Core 6 and speakup?

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 13:25:45 EDT 2006

In article <003101c6f530$0925b7e0$5802a8c0 at ERGO11>,
   Chris Norman <cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm having a bit of a problem with [eSpeak] though; in that it's not
> pronouncing things properly. Letters like g don't pronounce at all,
> either alone or phinetically, and it pronounces my name (chris) as a
> hiss.

> ANyone got any ideas on that? it's speak version 1.11a.

That sort of problem is usually caused by having different versions of
the speak program, the dictionary files (eg. espeak-data/en_dict) and
the phoneme data ( espeak-data/phondata,phontab,phonindex).

Try installing the current version, 1.16 and make sure that both the
speak program and the espeak-data that it uses are both updated.
  http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

Note that it looks first for an espeak-data directory in your home
directory first, and only if that's not found does it use the one in
/usr/share.