A version of Speakup... for your cell phone?

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 21:06:25 EDT 2006

In article <20061004233315.GA11387 at localhost.localdomain>,
   Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> wrote:

> Ok, that takes care of the CPU requirements, now what about the amount
> of RAM required, as it relates again to the resources available in a
> cell phone?

I did a test on Linux, with the command:
   speak -w test.wav -f longTextFile

This showed the speak process's memory usage as:
  VmSize:  3.4 MByte  (total amount of virtual memory).
  VmRss:   1.5 MByte  (total amount of physical memory).

I'm not sure why it's using virtual memory, but these figures seem
modest by today's standards.

Using the portaudio interface increases the VmSize to 28 MByte.