Dvd full ripping?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Oct 4 13:43:15 EDT 2006

What you would use is dvdauthor, mkisofs, telling it to create an UDF
filesystem, and yes, dvdrecord. While I haven't yet had the need to
burn video dvds with my burner, which I got about a year ago, here's
where my growisofs info came from:

"dvd+rw tools is used to burn to older DVD+RW format, this is only
necessary if you have a first generation DVD+RW
       drive. If you have a newer DVD-RW drive this package is not
       needed: [16]dvd+rw tools

   dvd+rw tools has no Makefile. You can build the binaries doing
   this:
    gcc dvd+rw-format.c
    mv a.out dvd+rw-format
    cp dvd+rw-format /usr/local/bin
    gcc growisofs.c
    mv a.out growisofs
cp growisofs /usr/local/bin
"
<http://linuxgazette.net/issue83/stoddard.html>

If this info is wrong, then I'm sorry for the needless
confusion. Also, this is fairly old, and things such as the dvdauthor
package for example, have changed dramatically since this article has
been written, though some of it is still applicable today.

Also, my point regarding growisofs was not that it wouldn't work with
newer burners as you seem to imply below, (it very well might), my point was that you didn't need to use it if using a
newer dvd burner.

I stand to be corrected here as well, but I wouldn't call dvdrecord an
extension of cdrecord, since I don't have cdrecord installed on the
system with the burner, and dvdrecord still works just fine without
cdrecord. Yes, I believe that dvdrecord does rely on a cdrecord
library, (or at least a modified cdrecord library anyway), but it is independent of cdrecord besides that.

Greg