Greetings from Ubuntu

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 3 11:58:44 EDT 2006

Hello SpeakUp List!

I've just been make aware of this list, so I'm writing to introduce
myself. I'm Henrik Nilsen Omma, Accessibility Coordinator at Ubuntu.

I see from the archives that there have been some questions about Ubuntu
Edgy, Orca etc. and some misconceptions that I'll try to clear up.

The aim of the Live CD is to provide an environment for exploring the
system and later installing it. This should work independently for both
visually and mobility impaired users. We are just a few bugs away from
making it work smoothly ;) -- but we still have a couple of weeks.

The default Ubuntu installer is written in GTK (as it runs on a Gnome
system). The reason it does not speak to Orca at the moment is that it
is running as root, while Orca runs as a user. We are preparing a fix
for this, but for now you can work around it by running Orca from a root
terminal and then running 'ubiquity' from there as well (the installer).
 The Kubuntu version of the installer is written in QT, but most VI
users would not want to install KDE at this point. Things are looking
better for KDE4 though.

We have also included speakup with our default Edgy kernel, but have not
prepared the required command line scripts for it yet. Any help with
testing speakup in Edgy and preparing such scripts would be great!

About myself: I'm not visually impaired but I do have a mobility
impairment. Of the Linux access tools, I only use sticky keys myself
though I do have a working familiarity with the others. My main role is
to encourage, facilitate and coordinate accessibility development in
Ubuntu. I work with end-users in the forums and mailing lists and with
the core developers to implement features.

Henrik