O.T.: Using garnome to build gnome

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Tue Nov 14 15:36:05 EST 2006

There are more appropriate lists to ask this question, I know, but if
someone has the answer at his/her fingertips, I would appreciate a hint.

I have retrieved the latest garnome and configured it, then began:

make paranoia_install

in the desktop directory. The initial set of downloads went fine, the
destination directories were created and partially populated, but then
the first compile was attempted, and the configuration step failed when
it said it needed X, but it could not be found or was not configured
correctly. The "which X" command tells me it is in /usr/bin, and I have
already been successfully using X as it is currently configured.

I am running a Debian unstable system and have just uninstalled the
Debian gnome related packages in order to obtain gnome 2.16.1 through
garnome, instead of the 2.14 that Debian currently packages.

But it can't find X, or it has a problem with X. Anybody know how to get
around this one?

Thanks,

Chuck

Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.
But you can get a few downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh