Install w/o hardware synth (Re: What's the advantage of a hardware synth?)

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:12:17 EST 2006

About your second question -- installing with just a sound card (ie w/o a
hardware synth).

I will bet that you can do it simply by booting with a grml CD and using the
grml installler grml2hd. I would try that first.  I haven't actually done
that though.

Something that I know will work because I've done it is to boot from a
knoppix modified cd and then manually doing each installation step., fdisk,
debootstrap, etc. I haven't actually done this in a while, but what you can
do is boot from the speakup modified knoppix CD at
ftp://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mirrors/linux/distributions/speakup/disks/knoppix/KNOPPIX-speakup-V3.4-20040714.iso
Then follow the instructions at this page:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

That would probably be the hard way.   But I know it will work.