startech serial card

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Nov 13 14:59:25 EST 2006

I very much doubt that pulling the modem would solve your problem,
especially if it is a software-based modem, as the majority of modems
made today are. Back in the days of isa slots, pulling the modem might
have very well solved your problem, but I'm afraid that it most likely
won't be the solution in this situation.

As for getting a brand-name machine with a serial port, there are
still companies selling machines with at least one serial port on the
motherboard. However, as Chuck has pointed out, if you go that route,
you'll most likely end up paying for software you don't want/need, and
you are running the risk of getting components not supported by
linux. In the first case, I've heard that companies are willing to
sell you a machine with an empty hard drive for a lower price, if you
tell them that's what you want. If a particular company refuses to do
so, I think chances are good that one of their many competitors will
be happy to oblige.

In the second case, once you've picked a brand/model, get an exact list of
what's in the system, and search the linux source, or the web, to find
out if all the hardware is either supported by linux directly, or by a
third-party free, or non-free driver, of which speakup is a good
example. As Chuck has also pointed out, you can have someone
custom-build a machine for you, though that's likely to be more
expensive then a brand-name box.

Finally, if you're comfortable working without speech, you can mount a
floppy, redirect dmesg and lspci to files on the floppy, and get the
information that way. If you'd prefer speech, and have a linux
supported sound card in your system, you can use grml, or whatever
other livecd supports software speech to do so.

Greg

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:01:06AM -0600, randy turner wrote:

> hi Chuck,
> i might try pulling out that built in modem and see
> if it works then,
> windows tells me that it shows up as com1
> the only other serial device in the computer is a modem
> i am not sure what com port it is on
> the only think that i can think to do is to pull the
> modem out and see what happens.
> thanks
> randy turner

- --