startech serial card

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Nov 12 22:59:21 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 07:16:51PM -0600, randy turner wrote:
> my question is does speakup.s
> support a pci serial card in the speakup.s kernel?

I don't know, but again, I don't see why it shouldn't.

> i have tried the install disk and the slackware cd
> with the cd i type speakup.s speakup_synth=ltlk
> when i install from the floppy i type
> ramdisk speakup_synth=ltlk

What happens when you do that? Your message implies that you get no
speech, but you don't actually state this explicitly.

> my question is does speakup.s need another pci serial driver for this to
> work?
>
> they say that it should work in linux

I don't know, but I don't see why it should.

> have you used other pci serial cards??> if so what does the kernel need to support them?

The only pci serial card I've used is an actual modern hardware
modem. In the earlier kernels, it needed serial irq sharing enabled, the
many ports option enabled and it showed up as /dev/ttyS4. From what I
can recall, it still does need those options in the kernel, but now
shows up as /dev/ttyS1 in a system with only one on-board serial
port. It might be
possible that your card is showing up as something higher then
/dev/ttyS3, in which case, speakup won't talk to it, unless you modify
the speakup code.

Until I know what dmesg says about your serial configuration, if
anything, I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Sorry I can't be of
much help, maybe someone else would be able to tell you more.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1