speakup for etch v. of debian

Ned Granic ngranic at cox.net
Sun Nov 12 05:37:07 EST 2006

Hi all,
Last week my classmates installed the etch version of debian on their systems.
I was not there, but apparently, we'll deal with the etch version of debian for the final.
So, is there a speakup installation disk for etch?
If not, is there any speech-supported version of etch?
And one more question: I know about oralux version of Knoppix -- I downloaded it and it works --, but it seems to be extremely complicated, and it'll take me a long time to learn it before I can put it to use.
Do you know of any alternative?
What I need it for is to connect another system (from which is Knoppix run) with a cross-over cable to my Linux box to test it.
Can I use anything else for that purpose other than Knoppix? How about Windows?

Many thanks in advance!
Ned