Failure to Install Speakup FC6

Radical NetSurfer radsurfer at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 08:04:50 EST 2006

There's a very easy way to indicate the failure rate
of the Speakup FC-6... ask one simple quesiton:

How many people out there (blind or otherwise) have
been successfully able to install from the CD or DVD
ISO's?

I bet the number is far lower than what it should be.

Anyone trying to install on a stand alone system,
without network card are likely to have the highest
difficulty, as I did.

For now, I'd like a poll on just how many ordinary
every day people have been sucessfull at installing.

And trying the Debian or other distro would, for the
exact same reason, be also extremely problematical:
If you do not have highspeed to supplement the
installation once the base OS itself is installed, you
are screwed.
That is what makes Fedora Core so wonderful, it
actually comes with everything all at once. You do not
have to use a network to download most productivity
items, they will be right there for you!

And yes, when I am online with Fedora Core 5, as with
all versions I have used, I am using an ordinary
modem, and dial up connetion.  And yes, I have been
able to use yum to properly fetch, install, and update
many packages using dial up.

Some mentioned something about using a special boot
ISO
included with the distribution.. problem is that would
not work for anybody that does not have a separate
computer to link too, making that whole approach kind
of lame in my opinion.

I am still hoping some solution is out there.

One final important comment:

Just because the ISO images check out with proper
checksums in no way suggests, implies, or quarantees
that an installation is possible: such tests only
indicate that the file checksums are correct, there
can most certainly still be errors in the installer or
any other file... if that is what was added to the
installation package.  So let us understand that a
proper checksum can not, and by definition, will not,
ensure you can install any distro of linux.

//Rich//

Sponsored Link

$200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity -
Click now for info http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com