SEEM TO BE ERRORS ON SOME FEDORA 6 CD's

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Mon Nov 6 09:52:32 EST 2006

> For the record, the sha1sums on the Speakup Modified Fedora files check
> out. So, if any file doesn't check out at your end, it's some kind of
> problem beyond us.

Thanks for that info.  At least, it should narrow my search area for the
problem.

> Second, sha1sum replaced md5sum.

Thanks!  I cdidn't know that sha1sum was a program as well as the name of
the file that appeared on the site after each set of images to download.  I
found no mention of it at

http://speakupmodified.org/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

but only mention of md5sum:

We strongly suggest that you check the integrity of your downloaded ISO
image files before you create CD ROM installation media, if you can. An
MD5SUM File
is provided to assist you in this task. On Linux you can issue the following
command:
md5sum -c MD5SUM

> Lastly, you don't need the SRPMS, or the rescue or boot iso images to
> install. You only need the 5 FC-6 disc iso files.

I knew that but wanted them anyway.  Since I was getting failure messages
testing four of the five installation CD's, for whatever reason, I thought
it worth checking the source CD's as well.

> Read the Installation HOWTO. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

I have.  Not that I didn't skip parts I didn't need, but it enabled me to
install FC3 twice last spring, on computers in classroms.  (I had problems
with those installs, but not for lack of reading.) I've found it one of the
best howtows I've come upon.  Indeed, I waited until this past Friday to
even put in the first FC6 CD because I thought maybe I should await the new
version of the howto.  I still might.

Al

> For the record, the sha1sums on the Speakup Modified Fedora files check
> out. So, if any file doesn't check out at your end, it's some kind of
> problem beyond us.
>
> Second, sha1sum replaced md5sum.
>
> Lastly, you don't need the SRPMS, or the rescue or boot iso images to
> install. You only need the 5 FC-6 disc iso files.
>
> Read the Installation HOWTO. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
>
> Janina
>
> Albert E. Sten-Clanton writes:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > A few days ago, I copied the five FC6 installation CD images, the rescue
CD image, and the four source CD images to a directory and then put each on
a CD.

> > Yesterday, I booted up with the first installation CD.  I decided to
test all the CD's, and got messages that two through five of the
installation CD's had errors, as well as the third and fourth source CD's.
I downloaded the second image again last night and tested it this morning.
I again got a failure message.

> > I'd considered that my CD burner might be screwing up, since I got
errors from a GRML image I also downloaded and copied to a CD yesterday.  I
dout that's the problem, though:  last night, I accidentally copied one of
the good source images to another CD, and it passed the test.

> > Is there anything else I should do to determine whether this is really a
problem with the iso images?

> > I note that I haven't yet figured out how to use the files on the site
to check the quality of my downloads.  I'm using Lynx.  When I press the
right arrow, it goes into the file; it doesn't bring me to where I can
download it, as it does with all the installation and source images.  From
what I've read about MD5SUM, I think I'm supposed to have this file (I think
one of these is called SHA1SUM) on the hard drive, so that I can use it to
check the downloaded images.

> > I'll appreciate any info that will either help me if I'm missing
something here or warn me to wait for better images.  Thanks!

Canada--Go to http://ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.