Punctuation with Espeak

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Sat Nov 4 11:05:42 EST 2006

In article <20061103224310.GA4300 at lnx3.holmesgrown.com>,
   Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to use speechd-el within emacs, speech-dispatcher
> and espeak.  Basically, the combo is working pretty well but I can't
> enable any detailed punctuation.

The option in eSpeak to speak punctuation characters is:  --punct
Eg:
  speak --punct -f textfile

But I don't know how you control this from speech-dispatcher.

eSpeak can announce punctuation either by their names, or by sound
icons (WAV files).  Sound icons can be set up for various punctuation
characters in text file: espeak-data/config.  Add lines of the form:

soundicon   _[   /usr/share/sounds/sound-icons/left-square-bracket

The spoken names are defined in eSpeak's  dictsource/en_list  file (or
the equivalent file for another language), with an entry which gives
the symbol (preceded by an underscore) and the phoneme string to be
spoken. eg:

_[   Elskwe@