modprobe speakupmain hangs

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Wed Nov 1 19:14:26 EST 2006

luke píše v St 01. 11. 2006 v 16:53 -0600:
> I reported this problem 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Gregory Nowak was able to
> confirm that it was happening.

In that case, I'm sorry for the duplicity.

> While this is untested in regards to modprobe, it would be better to use:
> kill -9 $!

Yes, you are completely right that the quick hack I sent has possible
side effects. Actually, it is pretty broken with the sleeps and all :)
However, I think the method you described is not guaranteed to work,
because in the time of the crash, modprobe is running a child process
and you would risk that this child process ends up being a zombie and
block the thing. I didn't test the exact behavior, but I wouldn't rely
on it. I agree that in other cases what you propose would be a much
cleaner solution.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke