modprobe speakupmain hangs

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Wed Nov 1 17:53:59 EST 2006

I reported this problem 3 or 4 weeks ago.  Gregory Nowak was able to
confirm that it was happening.

I was not able to get speakup running after the fact as you describe,
although I can't say for certain that I tried that exact method.
Greg did not report getting it to work after the fact either.

I solved it by simply having speakup main compile as builtin, instead of
as a module.

While this is untested in regards to modprobe, it would be better to use:

kill -9 $!

Than it is to use:

killall modprobe

because if any concurrent modprobes happened to be running at that time,
you could get yourself into some trouble.

Regards,

Luke