multiple soundcards

Roman ak47.ataka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 09:57:04 EST 2006

* Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> writes:

 > Hi all.  Is there anyone here using multiple soundcards with alsa?

Once I was given for try a sound card together with my own one.

 > I am mainly curious to know how easy it is to control each card
 > independently with applications like alsactl/amixer/arecord/aplay,
 > and mplayer,

No hard at all.

 > as well as how easy it is to switch from using one card
 > to another as the default on the fly?

If you mean system-wide default -- you would have to reload sound
modules with appropriate "index=" options.

$ modprobe emu10k1 index=1

For instance.

 > I do know that the applications
 > I mentioned support using multiple sound cards, however, seeing what
 > command-lines look like to for example play/record with
 > mplayer/arecord through the second soundcard would be helpful. Thanks

I don't remember the CL mplayer opts, but here is params from
~/.mplayer/config for second sound card (index=1):

mixer=hw:1

or:

ao=alsa:device=hw=1.0

~~