Accessible install of Sid or Dapper?

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed May 31 12:31:57 EDT 2006

Hi Ricky,

I think the best way to get to unstable is to install sarge and go from
there. Here are some cautions I follow when doing that:

1. install sarge with the "speakup26" kernel, but as soon as possible,
upgrade to 2.6.12, since the 2.6.8 kernel on the installation disk has a
flawed mark/cut/paste feature. To do this, add to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file this line:

deb http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernel ./

2. Next change the distribution name from stable to testing in your
/etc/apt/sources.list. You should go to testing first just briefly, and
from there to unstable.

3. First get current apt tools by doing:

apt-get install dpkg apt-get

4. Next to this:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

You are now into a testing distribution.

5. Change the distro name from testing to unstable or sid, fix your
package management tools again, and then do the sequence apt-get update,
apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade one last time.

You are now in sid. Now you can go ahead and look for extra packages and
fix your authentication process.

Chuck