State of accessibility in linux

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri May 26 14:35:20 EDT 2006

I have been using Slackware Linux with Speakup modified kernels for
some time now with what I would call very good results.  I have set up
systems on my own with no sighted assistance, build databases and
associated scripts using MySQL, set up an LAN of my own, browsed the
web, edited various types of files with various editors, logged into
remote systems to perform various tasks, and more, all thanks to
Speakup on text consoles.

Other projects seem to be addressing the GUI interface issues, so the
only major steps forward I can personally think of for Speakup at the
moment include support for USB hardware speech synthesizers, and for
software speech synthesizers to be easier to set up.  Software speech
synthesis seems to be moving forward, and I have read hints on this
list that USB connections are on at least one to-do list, so others
seem to be considering these issues as well :) .

HTH, and have a great day.