Question about ALSA.

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Fri May 26 12:39:07 EDT 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 22:16, Satyam wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I installed speakupmodified fedora core 3 on my PC and planning to
> enable speakup using software synth. As per the instructions in the
> howto I downloaded speech dispatcher 0.6. After un taring I issued the
> command ./configure Hear it gave the message configured with out support
> of flite, ALSA and NAS.
> Now my questions are:
> 1. How to get the support of ALSA and flite?
> 2. I found that  ALSA are found in /usr/include. Do I need to download
> any ALSA related components to enable ALSA support?
> Appreciating your help.
> Hope to hear from you.
> Satyam

In order to compile in ALSA support, Speech Dispatcher' configure must be able
to locate

libasound.so

and

alsa/asoundlib.h

On my system, Debian, these files are in

/usr/lib/libasound.so
/usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h

and configure is able to automatically find them.  Where are these files in
Fedora Core 3?

Assuming they are in a different location on your system, you can try using
the "libdir" and "includedir" options to configure to compensate.  For
example

./configure --libdir=/opt/lib --includedir=/opt/include

We may have a problem with the fact that Speech Dispatcher wants the include
file to be in the "alsa" subdirectory.  Please let me know where your files
are on Fedora Core 3 and if the --includedir option helps.

Thanks
--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)