Fedora 5: Specifying Synthesizer for Speakup

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Wed May 24 13:23:13 EDT 2006

Hello all,

Recently I needed to upgrade from Fedora 3 to Fedora 5 for some school
projects.  After installing Fedora 5 on my Linux computer using Brltty, we
then installed the RPM containing the speakup modified kernel for Fedora 5.
Unfortunately, apparently this RPM doesn't seem to have any synthesizers
loaded into it, I didn't realize that the synthesizer wasn't installed until
I tried to specify my Dectalk USB using the Dectalk express key word as I
used to do under Fedora 3.  My instructor told me that an unknown device, or
a similar message, came up on the boot loader screen when we tried to
specify the dectalk express or any other synthesizer.  I removed the Dectalk
and tried it on another computer using Windows just to make sure that the
synthesizer functioned properly, and the Dectalk USB worked fine.

The current kernel of my Fedora 5 system is: 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5spk.i586 and
we installed the rpm from
ftp://SpeakupModified.org/fedora/speakupmodified/current/RPMS/.  We made
sure to install the same version of the Speakup modified kernel RPM that we
have for the original Fedora 5 installation.  If someone could guide me in
the right direction with all of this, it would be most appreciated.  I've
consulted the Speakup user's guide and the Fedora install how to, and the
only thing I can see there is that I might have to recompile the kernel with
a new speakup tarball to specify the synthesizer properly.  Is this what has
to be done, or is there another way to get this working?

Thanks,

Beth