keystrokes: to speak or not to speak

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Sat May 20 21:33:19 EDT 2006

Hmm, it would seem to me that this is something that should really be
handled at the OS level. That is, when a backspace is done, an even should
fire for anyone listening that says "hey, such-and-such a letter was
back-spaced over." For example, in windows, not only does every keystroke
generate an event, every time a key is pushed down, it triggers a separate
event, as it does when a key is released. So every keystroke should be dealt
with by the OS in at least three ways. Or at least, it should have that
ability. Having said that, those events probably fire within the application
that you're dealing with, so I don't know if there's a way to re-direct them
to something which is running within speakup.