eSpeak tip

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Mon May 15 13:28:17 EDT 2006

The reason for changing to recording to a wav first, is that you can use the
player of your choice, so allowing you to use the output method of your
choice (e.g. aplay for alsa, or I think play for oss), where as getting it
to use the espeak output system, you are restricted to systems supported by
portaudio (currently oss in portaudio v18). Also I had other reasons for
doing this, the portaudio output with espeak did not work correctly on my
desktop, when using speech-dispatcher, I was unable to get it to silence
(seemed to be sound card dependent, as it was only the one sound card in my
desktop, and also not present on my laptop). If using the espeak output
system works for you, and you are happy with the limitation of OSS, then it
could be very preferrable to missout writing to a wav.

From
Michael Whapples