speech-dispatcher file for eSpeak and some questions.

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Mon May 8 16:43:08 EDT 2006

In article <20060508181644.23577.qmail at web38608.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
   Arthur Pirika <arfy8820 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Also, I had a problem getting eSpeak to run. I
> downloaded the binary, installed portaudio v19 and i
> still get an error about libportaudio.so.0. I noticed,
> however, that the lib version of portaudio's changed.
> Should I downgrade portaudio to v18, or will simply
> recompiling from source help?

I haven't tried portaudio v19.  I couldn't find a Debian package for it
and my attempt at compiling it from source failed.

It MAY be that eSpeak will work with portaudio v19 if you recompile
eSpeak with a small change.  The portaudio API has changed slightly
from v18 to v19.

Try changing the two uses  of Pa_StreamActive() in eSpeak's
wavegen.cpp  file to  Pa_IsStreamActive()

and changing the line in portaudio.h
   PaError Pa_StreamActive( PortAudioStream *stream );
   PaError Pa_IsStreamActive( PortAudioStream *stream );

I haven't tried this, but perhaps someone who has
installed portaudio V19 can try it and let me know.

If you don't want to use the portaudio interface, but just use eSpeak
to produce WAV file outputs to be played by another program, then you
could compile eSpeak after commenting-out the line
   #define USE_PORTAUDIO
in speech.h