New Linux PDA For Blind People

Scott Howell s.howell at verizon.net
Thu Mar 30 20:32:42 EST 2006

I can't help, but jump in here because although I understand what
everyone is saying, its what I'm reading.

What I hear folks saying is that adaptive technology vendors charge
to much for their products, I read how Apple there are no choices,
folks don't like the choices, and open source seems to be the poop.
Well first I never had any problem with someone making a buck, yes
its true that blind people pay considerably more for the product, but
one the flip side there is a lot of r and d that goes into some of
these products. I'm not justifying what they are charging, but I'm
saying lets not loose focus. Not everyone wants to develop open
source solution, and those who do, great, for those who would rather
turn it into a business, well good for them and that is their right.
It doesn't matter what they charge, by having choices, this will help
control the prices to some degree because if company A is charging
$1,000 for a product and company B is selling a very similar product
for $750, then it would become apparent to Company A that maybe they
need to look at their pricing. Also its true that most adaptive
vendors sell fewer units than the "mainstream" vendor so it stand s
to reason they need to charge more in order to make up for the
smaller sales. Is this right? Well maybe not, but its a fact of life
and survival. You can put food on the table if your only selling a
dozen units at $100 when a "mainstream" vendor sells a product for
the same $100, but is selling thousands. I guess my point is that the
reallity and the fairness don't meet. I'm not disagreeing with
anyone, bu trying to present another view point. I am equally
frustrated by what is costs for some of the adaptive gear like a
braille display, but I also realize that since they cost more than I
choose to spend, I don't own one.
As far as Apple's VoiceOver, I use it everyday and quite
successfully. There is no other choice because no one has stepped up
to the plate and produced one. It stands to reason there is more for
the world of windows because numbers speak for themselves. I think
there's a lot for Linux because folks made the concious choice to
produce their own screen reader and yeah open source made this
possible. This topic really is rather complicated because there's so
many different aspects to it. There is no one answer, but at least
now there are more than one pda or access solution for the computer
overall and that is a good thing. Oh one final comment. Apple might
have requirements that developers should follow in order to make
their apps accessible, but gee so does Microsoft with MSAA. Not all
apps use this of course, but the screen readers for windows are years
ahead of VoiceOver and VoiceOver has only been around for a short
time in comparison. What will make a difference regardless of what
platform or screen reader you choose to use is the level of interest
in the screen reader and the level of development and these directly
related.
So, there's my quarters worth on the topic even if a bit lenghty...grin

Scott