New Linux PDA For Blind People

bob bobdodd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:37:11 EST 2006

On 3/30/06, Lorenzo Taylor <lorenzo at taylor.homelinux.net> wrote:

> - From what I've heard, the Zaurus is a pretty nice machine.  And it does
> run Linux, and can run all the nice open source stuff I have come to
> know and love.  It is a high-end device, and therefore has a higher
> price, but I understand it's worth the extry money for what you get.  I
> would have no trouble using this if I can make Flite run on it or else
> if Dectalk or IBMTTS can be made to run on it.  I personally don't have
> the budget for this type of high-end device right now, but I sure wish I
> did.

The problem with the Zaurus is Sharp: they seem to promote and sell it
only for the Japanese market these days, they seem to have given up
elsewhere.

An alternative might be the new Nokia 770 PDA (no phone capability,
just PDA) which I think is running a variant of Debian (so it should
be possible to get Speakup running on it?). It looks as ugly as sin,
but people do seem to enthuse about it.

Bob Dodd
Accessibility Research Centre
University of Teesside