New Linux PDA For Blind People

bob bobdodd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:15:26 EST 2006

On 3/29/06, Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:

> I wonder how he got Firefox to talk? I love Firefox in windows and would
> love to somehow implement it with Linux.  I figured you had to run it in
> X under gnome accessibility or something.  Is that indeed the case?
> I'll bet that PDA would be fun with Speakup too:).

Actually, there's another research project that aims to make Firefox
speak (on Windows unfortunately) but it's not screen-reader based.
They've attempted to provide an interface optimised for visually
impaired users.

For anyone who's interested, the paper is online:
http://www.acm.org/sigaccess/newsletter/jan06/Jan06_all.pdf

and is called
Clique: A conversant, task-based audio display for GUI applications

Bob Dodd
Accessibility Research Centre,
University of Teesside,
United Kingdom