Debian equivalent

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 22 11:27:22 EST 2006

Somewhere out there on the internet deep in an archive is a message from me
asking the same question.  What is the debian equivalent of the rc.local?
I'm going to giveyou the same answer someone gave me and -- fair warning --
when I got this answer I would not accept it.

You don't need an rc.local and, in fact, it's better to not have one.
Everything in your rc.local belongs somewhere else.

My initial reaction to the guy who told me that was "You are crazy". I
argued with him about it. For instance, what about my fire wall script?
What you can do, he pointed out, was trigger it in your ifup script so it
runs only if you actually have a network connection.

that's just an example. 'm not  nearly the guru that this other guy was. So
if you give me examples, I'm probably not going to be able to convince you.
In fact, this other guy didn't convince me.  What happened was that i
gradually figured out better ways to do things and eventually, the
rc.local  I rigged up became empty.

The one thing I can tell you right away though is that to start daemons in
debian, you put a script in /etc/init.d/ and then create symlinks to it in
the directorys for  different run levels.  I did a quick google search for
docs on starting services in debian. I'm not saying this is the best
tutorial out there but it it looks pretty good:

http://www.servepath.com/support/debian_setupchecklist.htm