shutting off the screen on a laptop

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Wed Mar 15 12:44:59 EST 2006

Hello,
Short answer depends on the laptop. My laptop I can do it with the i810switch program, but this requires the correct intel chipset. There are other programs for other chipsets (e.g. ATI radeon) but I don't know of them all. You might do best searching around for software for your chipset. One thing to remember is that just blanking the screen will prevent people seeing what is on the screen, but generally the backlight will still be on, so that would not solve the power saving issue. Things like i810switch allow the backlight to be turned off, that is all that is needed (the content of the screen can't be seen without that).

From
Michael Whapples