switched off Dectalk Express keeping kernel from booting

Monty monty-speakup at bc.cx
Wed Mar 15 10:59:29 EST 2006

Hello All,

I just finished putting together a diskless MiniITX system with a 2.6.15.6
kernel with Speakup compiled in.  I also compiled the following
synthesizers: accntsa, dectlk, and sftsynth.  (with dectlk being the
default)

When the Dectalk Express is switched on while the kernel is loading
everything works fine - all kernel messages are spoken and I eventually
get to my linux prompt as expected.

If The Dectalk is switched off during the kernel load, everything grinds
to a halt.  (presumably when Speakup tries to look for the Dectalk
Express)

I know this is the reason for the stoppage as when I put
"speakup_synth=none" on the append line of my boot manager (in this case
PXEClient) with the Dectalk Express switched off, the kernel loads fine.

I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here - perhaps its another
parameter to go on the "append" line or some sort of kernel option I am
forgetting about. At the moment I don't have any speakup related
parameters on the "append" line.

With my setup I wouldn't always need the Dectalk switched on but do nneed
to reboot occasionally.

I would definitely appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks in advance,
   Monty