two problems installing software speech with speakup

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Fri Jun 30 05:45:16 EDT 2006

Hi Milan,

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:30:52AM +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> [Please CC me, I'm not on the list.]
>
> This is a known problem but due to lack of complaints :-) solution
> hasn't been looked for.
>
> Lowering Speech Dispatcher init script priority doesn't look like a
> right solution to me, because that means Speech Dispatcher is started
> later than other services.  Actually I'd suggest starting it sooner to
> enable speech output as soon as possible.  Than Festival should be
> started one step sooner than Speech Dispatcher.
>
> I'm not sure about two things:
>
> 1. What should be the right init priority of Speech Dispatcher?
>
> 2. Would it be safe to change Festival init script priority?
>
> If some init expert using Debian can answer these questions, I can do
> what's needed.

I played around with those priorities on two systems I have running
here, both Debian Sid, both with kernel 2.6.17, but one running many
more apps than the other. I have never had a problem on the fully loaded
system, we will call it Machine A, and these are the startup links,
omitting those with higher number priorities:

S09firewall
S10sysklogd
S11klogd
S14ppp
S18portmap
S20dbus
S20ddclient
S20exim4
S20festival
S20inetd
S20jabber
S20knockd
S20lpd
S20makedev
S20rsync
S20smartmontools
S20speech-dispatcher
S20ssh
S21nfs-common

What is of note above is the number of links intervening between
festival and speech-dispatcher. Next I tried playing with the priorities
on Machine B, less fully populated, assigning priority 16 to festival
and 17 to speech-dispatcher, just ahead of portmap. It did not work.
Only three of the four speech modules were loaded by speech-dispatcher,
festival failed. But after startup, it could be corrected by restarting
speech-dispatcher. Next I left festival at 16 and moved
speech-dispatcher to 19, after portmap but before other services. It
also failed in the same way. The third step was to restore
speech-dispatcher to its default 20, leaving festival at 16, and this
time it worked. All four modules detected and loaded. Finally, I moved
festival to 19, leaving speech-dispatcher at 20, and it still worked.
The following is the list of links for Machine B that I ended up with.

S09firewall
S10sysklogd
S11klogd
S14ppp
S18portmap
S19festival
S20dbus
S20dbus-1
S20ddclient
S20exim4
S20inetd
S20knockd
S20lpd
S20makedev
S20speech-dispatcher
S20ssh
S21fam
S21nfs-common

Again, I omit the higher numbered priorities above 21. And just to
double check, I once again set both festival and speech-dispatcher to
20, and the failure was reproduced, so back again with festival to 19.
My belief (untested) is that adding more apps of priority 20 which are
activated after festival and before speech-dispatcher would allow it to
work, but for now I will leave festival at 19 and speech-dispatcher at
20.

Any other tests I can run, please let me know.

Chuck

Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!