Fwd: two problems installing software speech with speakup

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu Jun 29 18:24:18 EDT 2006

Thanks Charles,

If I'm not mistaken, Milan Zamazal prepares the Debian packages for Speech
Dispatcher, so I'm forwarding the 2nd solution to him.

Subject: two problems installing software speech with speakup
Date: Thursday 29 June 2006 17:15
From: Charles Hallenbeck <chuckh at hhs48.com>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>

Hi people,

Maybe I should have called this two solutions instead of two problems.
I am putting together a Debian system for a friend, patterned largely
after my own, which is working well. But on the new machine, I have had
a couple of unexpected problems with the software. They turned out to be
subtle, so it might be well to share their solutions.

<snip>

2. Actually I have installed flite, festival, espeak, and dectalk 5.0 on
each system. But on the new system, only three drivers were loaded by
speech-dispatcher. Festival failed to load at boot time. On my own
system, all four loaded at boot time. After bootup, festival appeared to
be running okay, speech-dispatcher was running okay, all four speech
systems talked okay using their own "say" commands, and finally, when
speech-dispatcher was restarted, it picked up all four drivers as
expected. It was only on bootup that festival failed to load.

Solution: Examining the /etc/rc2.d directories on my own system as well
as on the new system, they each contained these links:

S20festival
S20speech-dispatcher

But on my own system, numerous other similar links came between them
alphabetically, which means they were executed after festival and before
speech-dispatcher. On the new system, only one or two other links were
shown between the two. It seems that speech-dispatcher was executed too
soon after festival, and thus failed to find the software. I changed the
priority of speech-dispatcher from 20 to 81 so that plenty of other
startup scripts had to be executed after festival and before
speech-dispatcher, and it now works fine, recognizing all four drivers
at bootup.

Chuck

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)