continuous reading feature

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Jun 19 13:50:24 EDT 2006

As Chuck has pointed out, the keymap tutorial is out of date, and
keymap.map has in fact been replaced by speakupmap.map. Also, the
speakup+r key is in fact listed at the very bottom.

The last time when I asked about this, and said I got no instructions,
I did in fact try compiling genmap.c, but ran into problems doing so,
which I don't remember anymore, but I'm sure I described them in that
long ago post, which is probably still in the archives somewhere. Anyway,
I've tried it again, and have gotten speakup+r working this time
around. So, here's what I did; it's very simple really.

1. cd to /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup

2. If you have a recent version of speakup, speakupmap.map should
already have speakup+r defined as the last line, so you shouldn't need
to do anything.

3. Compile genmap.c by running:

gcc -o genmap genmap.c

4. Generate the keymap, placing the output in a file called keymap in
the current directory by running:

./genmap speakupmap.map >keymap

5. Finally, copy your new keymap to /proc/speakup/keymap by typing:

cat keymap >/proc/speakup/keymap

That's it, you should have speakup+r working now.

There are a couple of questions that I have, that maybe someone can
answer.

1. How do you stop speakup+r from reading? I thought it was done with
the escape key, but both that, and speakup+r itself don't stop it. I
had to finally use ctrl+c once I got to the end of the document in
emacs, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't how it should be done,
since that would have the probably unwanted side-effect of terminating
the currently foreground application.

2. How do I preserve my keymap changes across reboots? Do I need a
line in my boot scripts to copy it to /proc/speakup/keymap every time,
or is there a more permanent way of doing this, such as including it
in the kernel?

Greg