Online Documentation

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Jun 15 15:57:31 EDT 2006

It sounds like HTML has a strong lead:).  I love the ability to navigate
around with hyper links.  That's why I like HTML and info so much.  One
thing I like about info is if you're in an emacs session, you can set
bookmarks down to the row and column of any info document.  Actually,
You could do that with text files as well inside of emacs.  I just wish
we could gain the rich navigation abilities that are now currently
available with some of the Windows screen readers.  Examples: find next
headding element, next table, list, etc.  You can also navigate around
inside tables with a two dimensional view instead of everything being
spewed out in a single column.  I just don't see how this could be
achieved with speakup in the kernel and running elinks or whatever.  I
wonder if this might be easier with Gnopernicus or Orca since they are
more like applications which could scan a browser's internal buffer.

Anyway, I digress; In the case of Exim, the plain text manuals are
included in the base package and I might go ahead and add the HTML docs
as an added bonus.  By default it leaves it in the usr/doc/exim.../doc
directory so one could place them wherever wanted for typical use.  I
tend to move all my HTML docs to my internal web server and have an
index page point to them all.