living with zsh

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed Jun 14 18:47:49 EDT 2006

For a couple of weeks now I have been using the zsh shell as a
substitute for bash. The grml folks rave about it, and in fact I rather
like it too, ... until today.

I transitioned gradually. I did a musermod on each of my accounts giving
/bin/zsh as the login shell, and played a lot with the configuration. I
got it to do pretty much everything I wanted it to do.

So next I changed the symbolic link /bin/sh to point to /bin/zsh instead
of /bin/bash, and tried out all of my own scripts, which worked fine. In
fact nearly everything  worked fine. One of my audio programs acted up,
and the way I was interrupting an in-progress play in the bash
environment would not work in the zsh environment. I got that untangled
and thought I was out of the woods.

I am running Debian unstable here, and have encouraged lots of folks to
do that rather than hanging back in testing. And my experience has been
really good. Until lately. I found a package (I forget which) that
failed to upgrade when a "post installation script" failed. So the
package was described as "not fully installed or removed."  Interesting.

I couldn't remove it, because it wasn't installed. I couldn't install
it, because it wasn't removed. And because it was "not fully installed
or removed" it was always attempted whenever I did an apt-get upgrade,
sit-upgrade, install, or remove. I tried the various strong options for
apt-get, even tried dpkg with lots of advice from the Debian users list,
etc. I could not backport to an earlier version of the offending
packages (now there were two) since I could neither remove nor install
absolutely anything. And the count of "not upgraded" kept rising and
rising.

To make a long story short, just on a hunch, I restored that symbolic
link /bin/sh to point again to /bin/bash, and guess what? everything
automagically cleared up. Nothing lost, nothing corrupted, everything
hunky dory.

My advisors had me hunting down the various post-install scripts and
modifying them (yikes!) but switching back from zsh to bash was all that
was needed.

How do the grml folks deal with this incompatibility? They use the
apt-get mechanism for package handling, right? Is there a configuration
tweak that I had not discovered to make it all work?

At the moment I am retaining zsh for my login shells, but retaining bash
for scripts and other shell uses. I'd be curious if anyone else has been
stung by this stealth problem, which seems only to arise on a small
number of rare packaging scripts, but when it stings, it really really
stings, and stumps the experts too.

Chuck

- --
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (87% of Full)
Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!