festival with speech-dispatcher

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Fri Jun 9 07:35:12 EDT 2006

Can someone please look at this and suggest what I am doing wrong? I am
using a Debian distro and have have speech-dispatcher 0.6 working fine
with flite and espeak. I now want to see how it works with festival. I
have installed festival and associated packages from Debian package
archives, and have verified that it works in the interactive mode, as
well as command line mode with the --tts option.

Here is my problem. When I activate the festival daemon and make the
necessary modifications to speechd.confand festival.conf in
speech-dispatcher, and also to /etc/festival.scm, switching to sftsyn in
speakup does not produce speech. I can reactivate speech by switching
back to my ltlk driver.

Here is the relevant speech-dispatcher.log info:
[Fri Jun 9 06:33:50 2006 : 796748] speechd: ERROR: Module festival
failed to initialize. Reason:
 ---------------
 Communicating with Festival through a socket. Can't connect to Festival
server. Check your configuration in etc/speechd-modules/festival.conf
for the specified host and port and check if Festival is really running
there, e.g. with telnet. Please see documentation for more info.
So, I did that. The relevant lines from the speech-dispatcher
festival.conf module are these:

FestivalServerHost  "hq.hhs48.com"
FestivalServerPort   1314

and from /etc/festival.scm  are these lines:

(require 'speech-dispatcher)
(defvar server_access_list '(hq\.hhs\.com))
(defvar server_port 1314)
Now, when I try connecting to the server with telnet, I get this:

hq:~# telnet hq.hhs48.com 1314
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to hq.hhs48.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

The connection is closed immediately. Something is running on 1314,
since if it were not, I would get a "connection refused" error. And the
festival server has a process ID, and can be restarted when changes are
made to its configuration, acquiring a new PID. But speech-dispatcher
can't connect to it, and telnet cannot connect either.

Can someone spot something I am overlooking? I would appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks,
Chuck

- -- The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (94% of Full)
Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!