help with kernel?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Jul 26 17:19:22 EDT 2006

Like I've said before in this thread, it is fairly simple to save the
dmesg output to a file on a floppy, even without sighted help, so that
you can then read that file under windows.

1. Boot your system, and put a formatted floppy into your floppy
   drive.

2. At the command prompt, type the following, pressing enter for each
new command:

mkdir /mydir
mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /mydir
dmesg >/mydir/dmesg
todos </mydir/dmesg >/mydir/dmesg.txt
rm /mydir/dmesg
umount /mydir
rmdir /mydir

Now, reboot into windows, and enjoy.

Also, like I've told you before, some of the modules for your hardware
may not be getting automagically loaded. In that case, you need to
modprobe whatever you need by hand, and then add it to /etc/modules,
once you're sure you know the modules you need to load. If you don't
know what modules a piece of hardware requires, either google for the
info, or like someone else said, boot a livecd, figure out what
modules you need that way.

As was also mentioned, reconfigure the kernel to build support for
your card or cards statically, and then recompile, which should be a
straight-forward process, even for a newby. If you find the thought of
compiling a kernel scary, also remember what I've told you before, if
you want to be a true gnu/linux system admin, you'll need to know how
to configure and compile your own kernels.

Greg

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 02:27:40PM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
> um... Have you tried this.
> Get a sighted person to sit down with you, who has no idea what a kernel is,
> what linux is, or anything, and tell them to read the output of dmesg to
> you.
> It even sucks with grep. lol.
> BTW, I'm not being rude.
> I was sorta joking. Anyway, I'm working with a sighted person, because I
> can't get a reader installed to work until the kernel is working, so it will
> support my sound card.
> Thanks,
> ~~TheCreator~~
> website: