telling speakup to use ttyS1

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:58:24 EDT 2006

Is this in answer to my question about setting speakup to use ttyS1 at
the command line? I'm not sure because the subject line is similar but
not the same.  I specifically was asking if it can be set at the command
line because setting the speakup parameters in the bootloader config
hangs my system.

Although, maybe you're saying I cant set speakup_ser via a boot
parameter, leave out speakup_synth,  and then later initialize the synth
at the command line.  Is that what you're saying?

I tried it. It didn't work. Although, maybe it is supposed to work and
my computer is messed  up.

Joshua Lambert said the following on 7/24/2006 3:43 PM:
> In your boot loader, you need to pass the location of your serial port to
> speakup if you explicitly want ttyS1.
> speakup_ser=ttyS1
> Would do it from the get go.
> You will have to read the docs for your boot loader to figure out how to
> pass parameters to the kernel command line.
> hth
> Josh

John Heim
263-4189 / jheim at math.wisc.edu / http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/