laptops with serial ports

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sun Jul 16 13:25:18 EDT 2006

Actually I've found a bunch of dell laptops (most of the latitudes)
that have serial ports so will probably go with one of those.
On Sun, Jul
16, 2006 at 05:39:33PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
> My comment about the sound card was more to do with using something like
> GRML, where the CD contains sound drivers, speakup and software speech
> components, so Alex would be able to install a distribution of linux using
> software speech. Admittedly this is not quite as good as using a hardware
> synth and speakup for install as it requires the system to boot without any
> problems (at least problems that don't prevent it booting and don't affect
> the sound card), before speech can be started. I would guess that it would
> be easier to find a modern laptop that meets those requirements than the
> requirement of a serial port (particularly considering his budget).
>
> From
> Michael Whapples
>
>  Laura Eaves writes:
>
> > Doesn't the sound card require a driver? At what point is that loaded?  The
> > serial port is probably not essential for any purpose other than boot time
> > access, so for other peripherals a USB or pcmcia to serial adaptor is
> > sufficient.
> > --le

Anyone who thinks UNIX is intuitive should be forced to write 5000 lines of
code using nothing but vi or emacs.  AAAAACK!
	-- Discussion on the intuitiveness of commands, especially Emacs