laptops with serial ports

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Sun Jul 16 12:39:33 EDT 2006

My comment about the sound card was more to do with using something like
GRML, where the CD contains sound drivers, speakup and software speech
components, so Alex would be able to install a distribution of linux using
software speech. Admittedly this is not quite as good as using a hardware
synth and speakup for install as it requires the system to boot without any
problems (at least problems that don't prevent it booting and don't affect
the sound card), before speech can be started. I would guess that it would
be easier to find a modern laptop that meets those requirements than the
requirement of a serial port (particularly considering his budget).

From
Michael Whapples