private vs. public IP addresses

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Fri Jul 14 12:36:55 EDT 2006

There are actually 5 classes of ips.  Class a, b, and c are the ones
used on the internet as a whole, and those ips have already been
mentioned here.
Class D has a 224.something range of ips that are considered private
as well.  However, this is hardly a consideration, since class D
addresses are used strictly for multicasting purposes, and it's
likely you'll never need one.
Then, there's class E addresses.  These start at 240, and there is
one of these reserved for private use too, though again, I don't know
what it is.
Class E addresses are for experimental purposes, and are also
generally multicast addresses.  Again, you'll probably never see one
of these ips on any network, and especially not on the internet.
But, they are there, and are used occasionally, even if we don't
encounter them.