iptables questions

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Wed Jul 12 12:44:07 EDT 2006

What exactly are you trying to do? From yur message it seems like you
want to do 1 of 2 things:
1.  Have the linux machine dmz'ed so services running on it can be
accessed from the outside world.  For this you just need to set up
iptables to block incoming connections on ports you don't want people
to be able to connect to.
2.  have your linux box as a firewall for your entire lan.  For this
you need 2 interfaces in your box, one from the modem and one to your
existing router/switch.  Then you would set up iptables to nat, and
add the proper firewall rules for your network.
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at
09:40:41AM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't understand how the maskerading works.
> I currently have a router, that is connected to the modem.
> Then, I have another 3 computers behind the router, one of which is the
> linux. What I want to do is dmz linux so that it acts as a firewall.
> Thanks,
> ~~TheCreator~~
> website:
> http://tysplace.shaned.net
> msn:
> compgeek134 at hotmail.com
> aim:
> st8amnd2005
> skype:
> st8amnd127
> moo coder/wizard and administrator

...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).
	-- Matt Welsh