Speakup patched kernel pauses while booting

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Mon Jul 10 16:13:20 EDT 2006

Hello,
What I think is going on is that speakup is still handing speech output to
the synth (although it is not there at boot up as it is a software synth you
are using) so is waiting for the output to be spoken. What makes me think
this is that if using a hardware synth, it will pause while the speech
catches up with the screen output.

Now for how you can fix this. One thing is that as the computer starts to
boot linux, press numpad enter, this mutes speakup until the next key press
(rather than until the next screen output like control), now things should
continue to boot without pausing. The other (I haven't tested this, but I
think it should work) is to set the default synth to None (and issue no
speakup_synth command on the boot line (append option in lilo, or at the
lilo prompt if you have one)), and in a script before speechd-up is loaded
(even in the speechd-up (eg. /etc/init.d/speechd-up) before the command for
speechd-up), add the following with quotes "echo sftsyn >
/proc/speakup/synth_name".

Also you are right, it is harmless, if boot time is not a problem, then you
can just leave it, but it may take a long time.

From
Michael Whapples