ubuntu install

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 8 17:31:34 EDT 2006

The short answer is no!  I had some sighted assistance with it and still
didn't get a working installation.  The partitions on the hard drive were
hda1 hda2 hda5 and swap respectively.  No /boot partition so when system
rebooted after install I got grub error 18 and that was all she wrote.  I
cleaned the disk with a speakup enabled slackware disk. One of the things
that happens with a ubuntu boot up after you hit f5 then down arrow three
times and hit enter twice on the boot screen is another window comes up
showing you selected preferences and I never did figure out how to land on
the quit selection to close that window and move on.  That second window
of course was not described in the starting guide I only learned about it
since a friend came over and tried to help with the install.  I used the
6.06 live cd which is the latest release to try all of this.  A beep at
the star and end of the boot screen appearance would be a little helpful;
but ubuntu is intended for sighted installers to use to install on blind
people's computers and in that respect it very much differs from speakup.
I may try all of this again after some additional research but not without
sighted assistance.