Grml installation

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Jan 28 08:37:20 EST 2006

* Scott Berry <electronicman1961 at myfreedombox.com> wrote:

> Got another question for you.  Okay I booted up with "grml swspeak" and
> then I rebooted the system after installing it on the hard drive.  Then
> I ran "speechd-up" for the software synth.  Now the problem I find is
> that the sound is not coming through.  After doing a little research I
> see that my note book a Toshiba Satellite 1735 has a Crystal sound
> card.  It looks like sound is not working.  Is there a sound config
> tool to use or how do I go about adding the sound module.  I imagine I
> can use mod probe.  Also can I get braille after I install the hdd
> version?  This would be helpful so that I can then read the screen
> myself.  Thanks for the help I hope I am not asking too many questions
> as I have done some of this before but I want to make sure I do this correctly.

I assume sound is basically working on your box but only the speakup
module isn't activated. To activate it add the cheatcode swspeak to
the append line of your lilo configuration (/etc/lilo.conf).
Example:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-grml
        label="2.6.15-grml"
        append="grml_from_hd swspeak"
        read-only
        vga=0x0317

brltty should work the same way using:

  brltty=type,port,table

Adjust the parameters for your braille device and add the cheatcode
to the append line of lilo.conf then. Don't forget to run lilo after
adjusting lilo.conf. ;-)

Of course you can start brltty manually as well or start it up via
your own init script.

HTH && regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins