having trouble getting Grml installed

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Jan 27 14:31:33 EST 2006

* Scott Berry <electronicman1961 at myfreedombox.com> wrote:

> What would be the best partitioning scheme to get Grml on My system?  I
> have tried one big partition.  I have also tried making a 15Mb bootable
> partition and the rest of the 10Gb disk for Grml and I call it a Linux
> partition with the number 82.  I have also tried making three
> partitions one was bootable, one was swap, and the rest was whatever
> Grml wanted to put on.  The big problem I am finding though is that
> Lilo is having trouble installing.  So some ideas on partitioning for
> Grml would be greatly appreciated.

Use id 83 for root partition and id 82 for swap. You don't need a
bootpartition for grml.  Let's assume /dev/hda1 is your swap
partition. You want to install grml on /dev/hda2 and you don't have
any other system on your disk. Just run:

# grml2hd /dev/hda2 -mbr /dev/hda

This will install grml on /dev/hda2 and write master boot record
into /dev/hda. If you don't provide the '-mbr' option grml won't
touch the master boot record but will write lilo into /dev/hda2
instead. More details are available in the manpage (an online
version is available on http://grml.org/grml2hd/grml2hd.html).

HTH && regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins