basic accessibility question

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Jan 18 06:03:36 EST 2006

Hi,
You can do most things under Linux.
As for browsing the Internet, web
browsers that can be used with speakup has poor or no javascript support.
Apart from that, Internet access through Linux works very well.

As for OCR, the engines exist although the good ones are commercial.
There is one engine for which you can get a license to use for free.  The
quality is OK.

I do not know about a user friendly front-end for these engines which is
working and speakup-friendly.
There are tools for sound editing, but most people would not term the
accessible ones as user-friendly.
An accessible user-friendly front-end for ecasound can be developed.  IMHO
Ecasound is very good.

There are lots of graphical front-ends for sound applications, but
accessibility of the graphical mode is not quite there yet.

Lastly it should be pointed out that you can have both Windows and Linux
on the same machine.
You can then use Windows for the things you feel is too difficult under
Linux.

HTH
Willem